Thursday 29 January 2015

Female Bodyguards in London - Westminster Security London

Female Bodyguards – Carly Field Interview


Female Bodyguards in London are becoming evermore popular with international visitors, often being selected over their male counterparts, especially for female Arab clients. Female close protection operatives are few and far between, but are a real asset to any close protection team. The majority of them having backgrounds in the military and police force, which stands them in good stead when entering the private security industry.

Carly Field - Female Bodyguard

Westminster Security would like to introduce you to Carly Field. Carly Served 17 years in the Royal Logistic Corps of the British Army, reaching the rank of Corporal. She completed several operational tours including; Northern Ireland, Afghanistan, Iraq and Kosovo. She has deployed all over the world in support of front line combat troops, including the planning and coordination of troop and equipment movements. Ensuring that health and safety procedures were being implemented.

Carly decided to leave the Army late last year and decided to take up the challenge of close protection. So we wanted to interview her to find out why she took the big brave step, how she’s finding ‘civvie street’, her experiences so far, and any advice she has for other budding female bodyguards.

Hi Carly, first of all thank you for agreeing to this interview, we promise to go easy on you. So tell us, with just 5 years to push before completing a full career in the Army, why did you decide to leave?
Good question. People think I’m crazy (including my husband) for leaving so close to getting a full pension but I wasn’t happy there was no quality of life, well there was but 6 weeks a year when my husband and I would get leave together. Too many changes, the Calibre of soldier had changed and there isn’t the respect there any more. I remember at my first unit the Sergeant would be away in the mess all time or golfing etc. and you think to yourself I’m going to work hard to achieve that, you aspired to be that person. Then I got selected for Sergeant and spent 12 months sat behind a desk, it made me realise I loved being on the ground not a SNCO (Senior Non-Commissioned Officer), and I signed off. I didn’t want to be a pension prisoner and unhappy. I’m a great believer in you’re in charge of your own destiny. Don’t moan do something about it.

It’s a very brave decision leaving the comfort and safety of the Armed Forces in these uncertain times, and becoming self-employed. What made you choose close protection for your new career?
I met a few CP guys on tour in Afghan and they influenced me slightly. It’s always been in the back of my mind. I think it could be that no day is the same, there is travel involved which I still enjoy. The different variety of tasks, meeting all types of people from different backgrounds, networking with people you wouldn’t normally have contact with. Was it risky giving it a go when the market is flooded? probably but that wasn’t going to put me off, I did my research and it was very mixed and varied from ‘they’re desperate for females’ ‘Good females are like gold dust’ to ‘don’t bother you won’t get anywhere the industry is flooded my hubby works the circuit’ and ‘yes they are desperate for females but they don’t use them’. I called various companies and training companies to find out for myself, and I really wanted to pursue it what was the worst that can happen? I tried my best and if it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t matter there are plenty of other jobs out there and at least I can say I gave it a go.

Quite right, nothing ventured nothing gained. The security industry seems like a natural progression for ex service personnel, the skills and experience gained are highly transferable. What advice would you offer anyone who is looking at leaving the military and entering the private security industry, is the grass greener?
The grass isn’t always greener no but then it depends on your reasons why you got out, everyone is different. For me the grass was greener to an extent, ok I’m not getting a wage same day every month guaranteed, but I’m enjoying the varied experiences. I think I made the right decision for myself and family.  My advise to those still in; ensure you get as many courses under your belt prior to signing off, and try and make yourself stand out in comparison to others – something that will jump out on a CV.  I was lucky speaking fluent French helped me get my current task which I started 3 weeks after getting out which is fantastic, I know I was very fortunate.

Well done, that’s great news, you certainly landed on your feet. Being multilingual is certainly a highly desirable skill. Do you have any plans to attend any further training in the future?
Yes I’ve enrolled for the online Open University Introduction to Cyber Security. We do everything online these days so I’m interested in how to protect ourselves more.
I will look at doing the Open source Int level 3 course when work permits. Then I’ll be looking at Spanish language as I think it’s a natural progression from French as they are very similar.

Best of luck on your courses. When customers call us enquiring about female bodyguards in London, they often ask; “how big is she…can she fight?” Does size really matter? 
There’s a common misconception that someone’s size represents their ability to perform a role. Today’s modern bodyguards are more about diplomacy and etiquette, blending in not attracting any undue attention. Then stepping up and taking control should a situation arise.

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us Carly, we wish you the best of luck in your new career. You have certainly got off to a flying start and we can tell you will be successful and highly sought after. We will certainly be using you in the near future.

If you would like to connect with Carly, please visit here LinkedIn profile by clicking here.
If you would like to hire female bodyguards, please contact us on +44 (0)208 123 3323 or +44 (0)755 4000 300

No comments:

Post a Comment